Saturday, September 6, 2008

Go Godello


Back in July, I was invited by Wine & Spirits to participate in a wine tasting. They chart their wine ratings slightly differently from other wine magazines, who typically keep things pretty insular. They invite two or three outsiders to join them in sampling a batch of wines, and the ratings are derived from the combined opinions of those present.

I was in attendance, happily, for a tasting of Spanish Albarinos and Portuguese Vihno Verdes. Good for me. I love those wines. We tasted many a good example during the afternoon, but the only time we all voted in favor of a wine was when a Godello was served. Godello's a little known grape native to the same basic area at Albarino, which it resembles in many respects: rich, aromatic, viscous.

Wish I could recall the name of the Godello we rated so highly. But when I saw a bottle soon after in a store, I snatched it up. It was a Vina Godeval Cosecha 2007. It was splendid. It had a nose of lemon, honey and flowers. Lemon, line, gooseberry, grass and white flowers hit the palate. Nice mineral edge. Vibrant acidity. Just a great little white, a pleasure to the senses.

Godeval made its first Godello in 1986 and had something to do with saving this grape, which almost went extinct in the 1970s. Good save!

No comments: